POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : BUG? Object media and internal lights. : BUG? Object media and internal lights. Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:24:30 EDT (-0400)
  BUG? Object media and internal lights.
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 16 Sep 1998 09:52:26
Message: <35FFB4A2.852D6A65@remove-this.reading.ac.uk>
Hi Folks,
    I'd be grateful for some verification of a bug I think I've found.

    Briefly, I've found that if you put a (point) light_source inside an
object holding (scattering or absorption) media they do not interact, ie
there is no lighting on a scattering media from that light_source and
neither absorption nor scattering media cast a shadow from that
light_source.

    I've attached a PoV file which shows the effect and a small image
file produced from it - the radiosity settings are simply used to show
up the edges of the boxes around the media and do not affect the effect
I have observed. The effect is most easily seen in the lack a a shadow
around the base of the right hand box.

    If other people out there can reproduce the effect, and agree that
it is a bug, I'll try putting together a bug report to meet the
PoV-Team's stringent requirements ;-)

        Hoping I'm not making a total fool of myself,
            Mike Andrews.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mediabug.pov.txt' (2 KB) Download 'mediabug.jpg' (5 KB)

Preview of image 'mediabug.jpg'
mediabug.jpg